Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

They say it's your birthday

This weekend, I went to a famous show in Korea called Nanta. It is kind of like a Korean version of Stomp, in the sense that the performers use everyday objects to make music. The focus in Nanta, though, was cooking utensils and food. There was a loose storyline set up as 3 cooks who had to cook a massive amount of food for a wedding in just under an hour and a half. To add to their problem, they were stuck entertaining their boss's annoying nephew.



The show was, interestingly, not language discriminant. There was no language involved in the show. When they "spoke" the cast used a funny gibberish, and the audience was left to figure out the plot for themselves, which was not difficult by any means. The performers seemed to be drummers originally, who developed their talent into using a variety of items, including knives. They were extremely talented and entertaining. The humor was a bit cheesy, but I laughed at it anyway. Two thumbs up, I say.

The show was a great way to spend my birthday, and the next night I went to get Shabu Shabu with friends. My real birthday was on a Monday, so I obviously had to go into work. BLAH. I wore the happy birthday glasses given to me by the Korean staff in my classes so that everyone would know it was my special day. Then one of my students from last term brought me a cake. I have no idea how she knew/remembered it was my birthday, but it really made my day. She really made up for all those mean student criticisms on the reports. "See? some of the kids like me," I told myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment